Hi Justin and all,

>     > Meanwhile, is it possible to implement a self-consistent FF from scratch? One
>     > example I came across is from the work by Ho and Striolo
>     >
>     > titled: Polarizability effects in molecular dynamics simulations of the
>     > graphene-water interface
>     >

>     Of course you can implement whatever you like.  Gromacs has been able to carry
>     out polarizable simulations for a very long time; I've only ever cautioned
>     against abuse of certain models.
>

> I guess that GROMACS is capable in running polarisable sims, but for the Drude
> polarisable calcs, they are prone to polarisation catastrophe due to the
> massless shells and thermostat instability?

Polarization catastrophe is possible in any polarizable simulation.  Usually
very small time steps are required to avoid this, unless using an anharmonic
potential or a hard wall restraint.

Using Morse = yes for the anharmonic potential option, whereas using the parameters below for the hard wall restraint option?

pbc = xy
nwall = 2
wall-atomtype =    ; optional
wall-type     = 12-6
wall-r-linpot = 1  ; having a positive val. is esp. useful in equil. run
wall-density  = 5 5
wall-ewald-zfac = 3

> In the paper mentioned above, the authors have carried out three types of cals:
> i) SPC/E on non-pol graphene
> ii) SWM4-DP on non-pol graphene: graphene in neutral or charged states
> iii) SWM4-DP on graphene-DP (one Drude particle per C-atom with opposite
> charge): graphene-DP in neutral or charged states
>
> They seemed to have simulated their systems using both additive and polarisable
> (0.878 angstrom^3) models?
> I guess this is where I got confused.

I suppose you can make any model work if you parametrize it a certain way, but
my point in the previous message is that you shouldn't go off trying to build a
force field that has SWM4-NDP water around additive CHARMM solutes.

Yep, now I understand it.
If I wanted to also describe graphene, is it possible to include carbon parameters in the SWM4-NDP force field then?

> On the side: From my previous calcs using GRAPPA force field (TIPS3P water
> model), graphene's polarisation (0.91 angstrom^3) resulted in spreading of water
> into thin layer. But that was polarisable graphene in a rigid rod model (dummy
> instead of shelltype particle).
>

>     >
>     > Pardon me if this sounds outright wrong; regarding the massless Drude particle,
>     > can it be replaced with an atom (assuming an induced dipole model) instead of
>     > the charge-on-spring model? The mass of the atom can be set to 0.4 amu with an
>     > opposite charge of the water oxygen atom?
>     >

>     In the Drude model with 0.4-amu particles, the Drudes are essentially just
>     atoms.  There's nothing conceptually special about them, we just handle them
>     slightly differently in the code.
>

> Well since domain decomposition will not work on shelltype calcs, I am intrigued
> to experiment if I can:
> i) replace the Drudes to atom with the same configuration - opposite charge,
> mass (0.4 amu), lengths, etc

The problem is that shells/Drudes have to be relaxed (SCF) or otherwise have
their positions integrated (extended Lagrangian) separately from "normal" atoms.
  Conceptually, a 0.4-amu Drude is just an atom, but the integration is carried
out differently, so no, this sort of hacked approach probably isn't very robust.
You mean the relaxation during NVT, e.g. emtol = 0.1 and niter = 30?
As far as I know, for pure energy minimisation, the shells are treated just like any other particles, so what matters is the shell minimiser/integration differs than an "atom" during MD right?

To relax a system containing Drude particles, is md=steep enough, or the more accurate conjugate gradient?

I get unreasonable energy minimised confout.gro structure very often, if there are Drude-based ions included (head-scratching).

> OR
>
> ii) switch to the more stable SWM4-DP with the hydronium and hydroxide
> implementation from David van der Spoel?

I don't know how this relates to the point above about graphene, so I'm a bit
lost.  SWM4-NDP is a better model than SWM4-DP, FWIW.

Absolutely, no doubt about that; SWM4-NDP describes water surf.tension better than SWM4-DP.
It was just a thought, that if SWM4-NDP becomes very unstable upon the inclusion of polarisable ions (e.g. hydronium and hydroxide that also contain Drude particle), SWM4-DP could be an alternative?

>     > Meanwhile, is it possible to implement a self-consistent FF from scratch? One
>     > example I came across is from the work by Ho and Striolo
>     >
>     > titled: Polarizability effects in molecular dynamics simulations of the
>     > graphene-water interface
>     >

>     Of course you can implement whatever you like.  Gromacs has been able to carry
>     out polarizable simulations for a very long time; I've only ever cautioned
>     against abuse of certain models.
>

> I guess that GROMACS is capable in running polarisable sims, but for the Drude
> polarisable calcs, they are prone to polarisation catastrophe due to the
> massless shells and thermostat instability?

Polarization catastrophe is possible in any polarizable simulation.  Usually
very small time steps are required to avoid this, unless using an anharmonic
potential or a hard wall restraint.

Using Morse = yes for the anharmonic potential option, whereas using the parameters below for hard wall restraint?

pbc = xy
nwall = 2
wall-atomtype =    ; optional
wall-type     = 12-6
wall-r-linpot = 1  ; having a positive val. is esp. useful in equil. run
wall-density  = 5 5
wall-ewald-zfac = 3

> In the paper mentioned above, the authors have carried out three types of cals:
> i) SPC/E on non-pol graphene
> ii) SWM4-DP on non-pol graphene: graphene in neutral or charged states
> iii) SWM4-DP on graphene-DP (one Drude particle per C-atom with opposite
> charge): graphene-DP in neutral or charged states
>
> They seemed to have simulated their systems using both additive and polarisable
> (0.878 angstrom^3) models?
> I guess this is where I got confused.

I suppose you can make any model work if you parametrize it a certain way, but
my point in the previous message is that you shouldn't go off trying to build a
force field that has SWM4-NDP water around additive CHARMM solutes.

Yep, now I understand it.
Is it possible to include the carbon parameters in the SWM4-NDP force field to describe/represent graphene?

> On the side: From my previous calcs using GRAPPA force field (TIPS3P water
> model), graphene's polarisation (0.91 angstrom^3) resulted in spreading of water
> into thin layer. But that was polarisable graphene in a rigid rod model (dummy
> instead of shelltype particle).
>
>     >
>     > Pardon me if this sounds outright wrong; regarding the massless Drude particle,
>     > can it be replaced with an atom (assuming an induced dipole model) instead of
>     > the charge-on-spring model? The mass of the atom can be set to 0.4 amu with an
>     > opposite charge of the water oxygen atom?
>     >

>     In the Drude model with 0.4-amu particles, the Drudes are essentially just
>     atoms.  There's nothing conceptually special about them, we just handle them
>     slightly differently in the code.
>

> Well since domain decomposition will not work on shelltype calcs, I am intrigued
> to experiment if I can:
> i) replace the Drudes to atom with the same configuration - opposite charge,
> mass (0.4 amu), lengths, etc

The problem is that shells/Drudes have to be relaxed (SCF) or otherwise have
their positions integrated (extended Lagrangian) separately from "normal" atoms.
  Conceptually, a 0.4-amu Drude is just an atom, but the integration is carried
out differently, so no, this sort of hacked approach probably isn't very robust.
You mean the relaxation during NVT, e.g. emtol = 0.1 and niter = 30?
As far as I know, for pure energy minimisation, the shells are treated just like any other particles, so what matters is the shell minimiser/integration differs than an "atom" during MD right?

> OR
>
> ii) switch to the more stable SWM4-DP with the hydronium and hydroxide
> implementation from David van der Spoel?

I don't know how this relates to the point above about graphene, so I'm a bit
lost.  SWM4-NDP is a better model than SWM4-DP, FWIW.

Absolutely, no doubt about that; SWM4-NDP describes water surf.tension better than SWM4-DP.
It was just a thought, that if SWM4-NDP becomes very unstable upon the inclusion of polarisable ions (e.g. hydronium and hydroxide that also contain Drude particle), SWM4-DP could be an alternative?

Thanks again for the information, really appreciate it.

Regards,
Kester