On 5/17/15 5:47 AM, mah maz wrote:
Dear all,
I want to calculate the radial distribution function of water molecules in
my system. I use g_rdf -f traj.xtc -n -o. It gives me large numbers which
is not logical I suppose. Is it meaningful if I separate oxygen and
hydrogen atoms in the index file and calculate the RDF for O-O atoms? Is
reference atom necessary to get RDF?

RDF is always calculated relative to a reference, but the default behavior is to consider all atom pairs; see the manual. It is generally standard practice in liquid RDF to separate out O-O vs. H-H etc. There is even an example figure of this in the manual.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy