On 2/22/16 10:03 PM, Ming Tang wrote:
Thanks Justin,

How about LJ and Coulomb  energy?

I want to see the trend of protein energy only. I defined 2 energy group:
protein and SOL in .mdp file. Then, I saw LJ and Coulomb: protein-ptrotein
option when using g_energy. Are they VDW and Coulomb force within the protein
only?

The "protein energy" usually tells you nothing. Unless you're doing a more rigorous calculation like MM/PBSA, I wouldn't try to base anything off of these quantities. They're not free energies and they're totally force field-dependent results. From your previous post, I'm assuming you're using GROMOS96, which, while parametrized against free energies of solvation, does not guarantee that such short-range interaction energies actually correspond to something physically useful (unlike, e.g. CHARMM, which is directly parametrized against QM water interaction energies).

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy