Dear Users:

I am trying to do some Hamiltonian replica exchange (H-REMD) in gromacs 5.1.2
and am running up against really large slowdowns when decoupling a large number
of atoms. I am decoupling 5360 atoms out of the 15520 atoms in my system. The
goal is not to get a PMF, but to enhance sampling using the REST approach to
partially decouple lipids in a bilayer. This approach enhances lipid relaxation
times ( http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/ct500305u ) though the authors of
that paper modified the gromacs code to do their own H-REMD in order to avoid
the really slow speed they also got when decoupling lots of atoms via the free
energy code.

I have already posted details here http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/742 ,
which includes .mdp options and some timing output. I compare the timing output
to a standard temperature REMD (T-REMD) run. For my usage, the slowdown is
about 12x for H-REMD vs. T-REMD.

I am motivated to find a solution within gromacs because the alternative is to
use gromacs 4.6.7 with plumed (or with the aforementioned modified code, which
is also gromacs v4). Normally that would be a viable option, but I am using the
charmm force field and the charmm TIP3P water and I would rather not give up
the speed boost that I see in gromacs v5.1.2, which allows the use of the
verlet cutoff scheme and has been tested and shown to give the correct
reproduction of charmm forces (vs. the forces one would get using the charmm
simulation software).

I took a look at gmxlib/nonbonded/nb_free_energy.c in v.5.1.2, but I was unable
to find a function called "gmx_waste_time_here()" and beyond that I was out of
my depth.

Thank you for any pointers,
Chris.