On 6/8/17 6:14 PM, Varvdekar Bhagyesh Rajendra wrote:
Dear Justin,

I was interested in the process *prior* to the free energy change is carried
out, before we carry out simulations pertaining to couple-lambda0 = vdw and
couple-lambda1 = none. Hence, I am curious as to *how* the charges are set to
zero in the topology for the ligand and if is it necessary in Gromacs 5.0
version.

You don't have to change anything in the topology. Editing it to set charges to zero is an old style of doing these calculations.

For the Protein-ligand system, the tutorial suggests: (for version 5.0)
couple-lambda0          = none
couple-lambda1          = vdw-q
vdw_lambdas             = 0.00 0.05 0.10 ... 1.00 1.00 1.00 ... 1.00
coul_lambdas            = 0.00 0.00 0.00 ... 0.00 0.05 0.10 ... 1.00

So, if this is done, is it necessary to set the charges zero in topology for
the ligand? If yes, can you please suggest me as to how can we do that using
the index file and topology file?

Don't touch the topology. Index files don't do any good here, anyway. They're for selections in analysis or various groups during MD. What the above .mdp settings do is turn on vdW interactions before turning on charges, which is necessary for stability.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy