On 10/19/17 10:46 AM, João Henriques wrote:
Dear Micholas,

First of all, thank you for your input. I understand the whole cutoff
problematic and it is my desire to stick to the standard. However (and
maybe I didn't explain this part properly), the CHARMM36m publication
reports different cutoffs (if you check the SI) depending on which protein
is simulated. This publication *IS* the standard, right? I am well aware
that other CHARMM implementations use 1.2 nm, but if you go further back in
time, the cutoffs have taken other values. But I digress, the main question
here is, how can I justify my choice when the official publication reports
these two values and does not provide an explanation for it? I am well
aware that the 1.2 nm value is the *de facto* value, but that is not an
acceptable justification in the eyes of a journal referee, as we all can
understand.

Disclaimer: I was not involved in designing the methods for the paper you mention, so you may want to email Alex about it for absolute certainty.

But what I can say is that we understand that the protein and nucleic acid force fields are more tolerant to changes in cutoff (as compared to the lipids, for example, which turn into an absolute disaster when changing things), so sometimes it is OK to reduce them especially in the case of a huge system or big REMD job to speed things up. I generally DO NOT advocate for this, because if you tell people you can toy with cutoffs, they start doing it without understanding the underlying physics or knowing how to check if things are actually OK.

If you want to be safe, use what I have posted on the GROMACS website. That is what is used in 99.9% of all CHARMM protein and nucleic acid simulations (at least, the good ones :). Lipid cutoffs can vary and there's lots of literature about that (and some open debate - see work by Jeff Klauda, Tom Piggot, etc).

As soon as the force fields are reparametrized for use with LJ-PME, this whole debate will be rendered moot.  In time...

-Justin

Thanks!

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 4:33 PM, Smith, Micholas D. <smit...@ornl.gov>