On 5/4/18 1:48 PM, paul buscemi wrote:
thank you for the prompt response.  I will check out the link.  Regarding 2)
One can immediately determine if the GPU is/is  running since Gromacs tells you
at the beginning - in my case - that the CPU’s being used and linux system
monitor tells you that all CPU’s are running, - not to mention the fan speed,
and nvidia-smi registers no GPU running

What I was asking was for the proper format for invoking the GPU .  I used
gmx mdrun -deffnm md_0_1 -nb gpu     ##   this is from the lysozyme tutorial MD
page
but this starts Gromacs using the CPU’s and was asking if this is a proper
format for a single GPU.

With version 2018, you don't even need to use "-nb gpu," mdrun will automatically run on the GPU if it is detected properly. As Mark said, check your .log file for a full breakdown of how mdrun configured the simulation using the available hardware.

-Justin

thanks
Paul