In addition to Justin’s comments, the repository version is not adapted to
GPU/CUDA  use and as such is good for only very small systems and so loses one
of the great advantages over other MD programs. I is not bad as an introduction
 to Gromacs  so do not be  afraid of installing, working with it and later
removing to then install the source version.  However, following the install
instructions for the source version, installation is quite smooth.

Paul