On 1/15/20 6:58 PM, ZHANG Cheng wrote:
Hi Justin, what kind of information should I look at in the log files? They are too big
to paste here. Would it be possible if you can see them
at https://github.com/lanselibai/gromacs-20200115 ?

It doesn't look like either of those runs actually finished, and you have very frequent restarts from checkpoint files, so I don't see performance statistics. Relevant information will be printed in an obvious summary at the end of the output.

Try running a very short simulation with each version that runs to completion and look at the end of the .log file.

Also note that at least in version 5.1, you are not compiling GROMACS for maximum performance.

-Justin

Thank you!

From:&nbsp;"ZHANG Cheng"<272699...@qq.com&gt;;
Date:&nbsp;Thu, Jan 16, 2020 03:38 AM
To:&nbsp;"gromacs.org_gmx-users"<gromacs.org_gmx-users@maillist.sys.kth.se&gt;;
Cc:&nbsp;"ZHANG Cheng"<272699...@qq.com&gt;;
Subject:&nbsp;Why it is run so slow in gromacs 2019.3 compared to VERSION 5.1.1?

I have a nearly identical run using the "VERSION 2019.3" compared to my previous "VERSION 5.1.1". Everything during the
preparation is the same except "-r" needs to be added in the "VERSION 2019.3". So "-r em.gro", "-r nvt.gro"
and "-r npt.gro" are added in the grompp commands for NVT, NPT and production run, respectively.

Using "-pe mpi 12" (i.e. 12 nodes) per hour, only 5-7 ps can be processed in the "VERSION 2019.3",
while 200 ps can be achieved in the "VERSION 5.1.1". Can I ask is this normal? Is there some configuration I
can do in the "VERSION 2019.3" so as to accelerate the MD?

I follow Justin's tutorial at http://www.mdtutorials.com/gmx/lysozyme/index.html
The commands I used are listed below.

gmx pdb2gmx&nbsp; -f Fab.pdb -o Fab_processed.gro -water spce&nbsp;
-inter&nbsp; -ignh -merge interactive
gmx editconf -f Fab_processed.gro -o Fab_newbox.gro -c -d 1.0 -bt cubic
gmx solvate -cp Fab_newbox.gro -cs spc216.gro -o Fab_solv.gro -p topol.top
gmx grompp -f ions.mdp -c Fab_solv.gro -p topol.top -o ions.tpr -maxwarn 1
gmx genion -s ions.tpr -o Fab_solv_ions.gro -p topol.top -pname NA -nname CL
-nn 31 -neutral -conc 0.05
(Afterwards, using the HPC to run)
gmx grompp -f minim.mdp -c Fab_solv_ions.gro -p topol.top -o em.tpr
gerun mdrun_mpi -v -deffnm em
gmx grompp -f nvt.mdp -c em.gro -p topol.top -o nvt.tpr -r em.gro
gerun mdrun_mpi -deffnm nvt
gmx grompp -f npt.mdp -c nvt.gro -t nvt.cpt -p topol.top -o npt.tpr -r nvt.gro
gerun mdrun_mpi -deffnm npt
gmx grompp -f md.mdp -c npt.gro -t npt.cpt -p topol.top -o md_0_1.tpr -r npt.gro
gmx mdrun -deffnm md_0_1 -cpi -append

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall