** Also affects: gvfs (Ubuntu Xenial)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  Operation not permitted while writing to symlinked fuse locations

Status in gvfs:
  Confirmed
Status in gvfs package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in gvfs source package in Xenial:
  New

Bug description:
  Affected releases:
  Ubuntu from 14.10+ (14.04 was working fine)

  Steps to reproduce:
  1. Setup a gvfs mount (I used smb and sftp shares configured via nautilus).
  2. Create a symlink to the fuse-mounted location e.g.
  cd ~/Desktop; ln -sf
/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=10.0.20.6,share=share1/symlinktest
  3. Navigate with nautilus to the symlinked location, open a file available
there with e.g. gedit or libreofficeand try to save it.

  Expected result:
  File is saved.

  Actual result:
  An enigmatic error message is displayed
  (Cannot handle "file:" locations in write mode - for gedit, or "General
input/output error while accessing <path>" for libreoffice).

  The problems started with commit
  548ba46c2ba51c4ec5b0dd8442b476f3a2a7000b fuse: Don't g_file_append_to
  unless O_APPEND is given. Reverting it makes the issue disappear.

  I have rebuild gvfs enabling debugging (#define DEBUG_ENABLED 1) and here is
what I got in ~/vfs.debug:
  # accessing via symlink
  vfs_open: /smb-share:server=10.0.20.6,share=share1/grouptest/symlinktest/test
  open_common: flags=500002
  vfs_open: -> Operation not supported
  # accessing via /run/user/(...)
  vfs_open: /smb-share:server=10.0.20.6,share=share1/grouptest/symlinktest/test
  open_common: flags=1100000
  setup_input_stream: have stream
  setup_input_stream: doing read
  vfs_open: -> Success

  For reasons beyond my understanding the flags are different while
  accessing the file via the default gvfs-mountpoint causing the
  execusion to skip the modified section of client/gvfsdfusedaemon.c
  (returning -ENOTSUP).

  I am attaching the full vfs.debug created.
  Collapse All Comments
  Expand All Comments
  Add Comment