This bug was fixed in the package livecd-rootfs - 2.408.44

---------------
livecd-rootfs (2.408.44) xenial; urgency=medium

  * Make sure buildd images have a /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d symlink
    (LP: #1815251).

 -- Colin Watson <cjwat...@ubuntu.com>  Mon, 18 Feb 2019 16:05:32 +0000

** Changed in: livecd-rootfs (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: livecd-rootfs (Ubuntu Bionic)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  Build buildd images

Status in livecd-rootfs package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in livecd-rootfs source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in livecd-rootfs source package in Bionic:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  I've been working for some time on having livecd-rootfs be able to
  build buildd chroots.  This has a few immediate advantages: it makes
  the process of building those chroots more transparent and
  reproducible, reduces the pressure on the single person currently
  responsible for managing chroots across all architectures, and allows
  for a less frustrating chroot update process since I added a facility
  to Launchpad last year for updating chroots from a livefs build which
  will be a fast API operation rather than something requiring uploading
  several hundred megabytes to Launchpad and frequently timing out.  I
  expect that in the future it can also allow us to have separate
  chroots for e.g. -updates at relatively low cost, which will make
  builds for stable series substantially faster as they won't need to
  apply a large and growing set of upgrades at the start of nearly every
  build.

  We also have a more recent requirement to build LXD images in order
  that we can converge with the images used by snapcraft, and so that we
  can use them directly in Launchpad livefs and snap builds rather than
  having to convert chroots on the fly.  Fortunately it's quite easy to
  convert buildd chroots into images usable by LXD, and for now I've
  simply translated the approach currently used in launchpad-buildd to
  do the conversion on the fly.

  Particularly in order to assist with snapcraft convergence but also so
  that we can improve build performance for the heavily-used LTS series,
  I'd like to backport this support to xenial and bionic.  Most of it
  has been in disco for a while now, with some recent tweaks.

  [Test Case] We'll want to run livefs builds in Launchpad with
  appropriate configuration, similar to https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-
  cdimage/+livefs/ubuntu/disco/buildd, and probably then test on dogfood
  or similar before unleashing them on production.

  [Regression Potential] The patch is substantially just adding another
  subproject type so I'm not too concerned, but of course we should
  check that a couple of other build types still work.