Jakob Heitz <jakob.he...@ericsson.com> wrote:

> Current usages of BGP probably will not have anything matching
> a marker in the byte stream other than the marker.

   I can't think of any way for it to get there that isn't an error...

> But future additions could well do that.

   Sounds like a very bad idea to me.

> There is a draft to increase the maximum length,
> so you can't rely on that being <= 4096.

   Indeed: it will probably grow past 4096 sometime.

> What about a notification message or a possible future
> operational message that replays the errant update.

   Definitely a bad idea!

   Replay of an errant update can't help, and would likely crash its
receiver. Don't do that!

> That will look just like an update to the resync code.

   I'm not saying resync is necessarily a good thing -- but I believe
a marker (16 bytes all ones) in the middle of _any_ message deserves
an error of some kind.

   Lacking a TLV structure for messages, we should not let go of a
marker which separates messages.

--
John Leslie <j...@jlc.net>