for pure protobuf (v2), so without grpc library, I've been successfully
using the lua dissector mentioned:
https://github.com/128technology/protobuf_dissector

IMHO it would make sense to encapsulate it in a http2 dissector, that does
the uncompressing of the protobuf payload, and serve it to this protobuf
dissector. You would require to update it a bit for proto3, as stated in
their readme:
"Support Protobuf v3. There isn't much difference between v2 and v3 in
terms of on-the-wire encoding. Mostly it's just that it's always in packed
encoding mode, and there's a new "map" type, which is really just encoded
like a message. So I think adding v3 support might be easy."

There is also an interesting piece of code to be found here:
https://github.com/othrayte/lppb

Where you can see how one dissector  (e.g. a http2/grpc dissector ;-) )
calls upon another one:
    local dissector =
DissectorTable.get("protobuf.message"):get_dissector("<protobuf message
type>")
    dissector:call(tvb(lppb.prefs.prefix_size):tvb(), pinfo, subtree)

br,

Jan

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CAGszK3hdBJsV3Zvf0FZNhUmsJ10_zqb_MdscYs4eTGA5%2BeBruw%40mail.gmail.com.