Abhishek and I spoke, and decided to simplify the initial message path.

I've updated the PR with
https://github.com/grpc/proposal/pull/3/commits/98f50fe1bde9e8209d08c2afd4317c6f609d823a
.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CAAvp3oO-XLntX5G6c0cygFWkwq1QBdChyvDO%3Dv%2BfKr12hS0ocA%40mail.gmail.com.