Can you elaborate in the spec on why the NUL prefix is needed? You mention
the alternatives but not why this is being done, I presume it's to
disambiguate with base64 encoded stuff while setting negotiation is in
flight.

Otherwise LGTM

+cc Piotr re our recent discussion about the IETF proposal for 'JSON' (!)
headers  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-jfv-02

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CADQ0XY1cjKgDAi3-6k%2Bx%3D%2BBnGb-mVSzvKm9_QZEMh5r%2BU8dNCw%40mail.gmail.com.