I'm working with the grpc-java manual flow control API to implement
backpressure. It's rather strange and I was hoping to learn more about why
it is implemented the way it is.

I have a service where a client sends a stream of numbers to a server,
which returns an Empty when the stream ends. On both the client and server,
the StreamObserver that handles response messages configures request
backpressure.

Here is an
example: https://gist.github.com/rmichela/470880b2d67858700dad7dc244a81ad8

   - On line 65, the responseObserver disables inbound flow control on the
   request stream, and then requests one message.
   - On line 25, the responseObserver sets an onReadyHandler to send
   another request message in the request stream each time a message is
   requested from the server.

This API seems backwards. Why is the response observer responsible for
managing the request observer's flow control?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/eacd7f9d-c5a4-49a6-b72e-56b14b32abaa%40googlegroups.com.