I apologize for the late response again. You probably already figured this
out by now but

You could also do builder -> AddListeningPort("*address*:0", creds,
&selected_port)
(i.e pass port number as "0" when you pass the address to AddListeningPort
API) and this picks an available port and returns via selected_port

(The only issue with this is that you will then have to figure out a way to
let your client know what the server port is. This is why, we use a 'port
server' utility in our unit tests that I mentioned earlier..Yes, It does
have the issue you mentioned in theory- i.e the port might be used by some
other process between the port check and BuildAndStart)

-Sree

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/0b1044d1-f871-4723-936c-69a8d4443215%40googlegroups.com.