Yes, this class would only be used with protobuf. I like your suggested
rename to GrpcProtoBufferReader, and I will incorporate that change before
merging.

As of now, the the newly public classes are only being used by our codegen,
which is already proto dependent. We will ensure that any code not using
the generated code does not pick proto dependency.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/cdd82289-f3e7-49d5-8e80-d78ceb3a7816%40googlegroups.com.