Initializing OpenSSL outside gRPC is not practical in many situations. Our
internal expert says the race condition only exist for OpenSSL 1.0.x and
0.9.x. We are on best effort to support older versions of OpenSSL, while
our main support is BoringSSL and OpenSSL 1.1.

Thanks,
Jiangtao

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CACcm8_i7f6HdGG3G72p_FN2UqwyUzaDyDVKGE3oNP1Xbi9GSwA%40mail.gmail.com.