"We are currently exploring defining a fake `boringssl` local_repository
which has a single target (`@boringssl//:ssl` which points to system
provided openssl)"

This actually sounds ideal to me. Compare what the protobuf repo does about
Python headers
<https://github.com/protocolbuffers/protobuf/blob/2e51ad6344111db2e1c38e1c4b78eac5f2029d17/util/python/BUILD#L3>.

If you come up with a robust repository rule to pull in the system openssl,
consider making it available as an example. I imagine it will be useful to
many besides yourself.