I believe it's an expected behavior: your laptop cannot correctly reply to
any messages or HTTP/2 control frames while sleeping, so terminating a call
seems like a quite reasonable thing to do.
I don't know low level details of HTTP/2 stream control, though, so
hopefully someone with a better knowledge in this area can give a better
answer.
Furthermore, it may depend on TCP socket options: if the other side
performs TCP keep-alive checks and notices that your laptop is gone, then
it will terminate the connection.

Cheers!