Hello folks,

Referring to the grpc specification of updates_only flag here
-
https://github.com/openconfig/reference/blob/master/rpc/gnmi/gnmi-specification.md

I would like to learn from the creator and users of grpc, what is the
correct interpretation of updates_only flag w.r.t sample and onchange based
subscriptions.

*My first interpretation: *
If "updates_only" flag is set/provided in the gnmi subscription request,
then grpc server should send sync_response=false without any additional
"update" packet carrying the initial value of the managed resource.
And if this flag is reset/not provided in the subscription request, the
grpc server should send an "update" packet with initial value of the
managed resource followed by a sync_response=true packet.
*Query:* The periodic updates would follow in case of sample subscription.
Does this flag apply to onchange subscription as well ? Does it require
grpc server to send an initial value "update" packet for onchange resource
as well? I understand, subsequent packet would come when there is a
"change".

*My further interpretation:*
In case of Sample subscription, the periodic update from grpc server is
guaranteed if and only if there is a change in the previous sample and the
current sample.  There is no point in sending same sample of data, again.
That would be waste of network resources and processing power at both grpc
client and server side.
I assume onchange subscription response would carry a change everytime by
definition.

Would you please clarify from GRPC standpoint, what is the right
interpretation ?