I think what's happening here is the installing is falling back to a
from-source build because PyPi doesn't have precompiled artifacts for your
architecture. The compilation process is taking too much memory for your
machine and the compiler process gets OOM killed with SIGKILL.

Exactly which architecture you have depends on the model of your RasPi
Zero. An RPi Zero W is ARMv6Z and an RPi Zero 2 W would be ARMv8.
Regardless, piwheels <https://www.piwheels.org/> should be able to provide