1. In general, the channel will remain open indefinitely regardless of the
state of the underlying TCP connection.
2. In most cases, __del__ will probably fine, but __del__ is not reliably
called when an object goes out of scope. It may happen an arbitrary amount
of time after that. If you're *really* worried about deterministically
closing the connection, you'll want to add an explicit close method that
closes the channel.