We are trying to install python3 -m pip install grpcio==1.18.0 on the
Ubuntu 24.04 machine with python3.12. But we seeing the following error:

          self._compile(obj, src, ext, cc_args, extra_postargs, pp_opts)
        File
"/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/setuptools/_distutils/unixccompiler.py",
line 187, in _compile
          raise CompileError(msg)
      distutils.errors.CompileError: command
'/usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc' failed with exit code 1

      [end of output]

  note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a
problem with pip.
  ERROR: Failed building wheel for grpcio
  Running setup.py clean for grpcio
Failed to build grpcio
ERROR: Could not build wheels for grpcio, which is required to install
pyproject.toml-based projects

This is the case with installing grpcio == 1.48.1 as well.

How we can install old versions ( other than the default versions) in the
system.

We can build these grpcto-tools and grpc-io from the grpc source as well.
In that process, grpcio-tools bring a protoful version from the cached
wheel. How can I specify the protobuf version( this should be reflected
here: python3 -m grpc.tools.protoc --version)  which I installed on the
system. We have been using the old protoc and protobuf-c and want to use
the same for sometime and trying to bring the compatible grpcio and
grpcio-tools

Thanks & Regards,
Ramana