Hi

Some laptops, e.g., from Dell have a special button that they use to
boot a special embedded OS for media only instead of the ordinary OS.

For my Dell XPS1330M I can determine if the Media button was pressed by
first writing 0xf9 to port 0x70 and then testing bit 0x08 of port 0x71.

It would be really nice if such a test could be enabled in grub so that
grub can go directly to a specific menu alternative without showing the
gui if the media button was pressed.

Is this interesting? I'd like to contribute but I don't know where to start.

Regards Per Öberg

--
Per Öberg, Ph.D. Student
Address: Division of Vehicular Systems

begin:vcard
fn;quoted-printable:Per =C3=96berg
n;quoted-printable:=C3=96berg;Per
org;quoted-printable:Link=C3=B6pings Universitet
adr;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:;;M=C3=A4ster Mattias v=C3=A4g;Link=C3=B6ping;;581 83;Sweden
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Doktorand (PhD Student)
tel;work:+46 (0)13 - 282369
tel;fax:+46 (0)13 - 282035