Hi,

Thanks for the idea, here fat grub.efi tested ok on imac8,1 (64) and
MacBook2,1 (32), using working grub32.efi and grub64.efi with their
preloaded modules.

 ./fatglue.py grub2202f.efi grub2202-32.efi grub2202-64.efi

compile and fatglue were all done in OSX10.5.6.

Debian sid 2.6.29.1-amd64 boots for me on imac8,1 using

menuentry "sid amd64 fbdev sda9" {
fakebios
root=hd0,9
linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda9 video=efifb noefi
initrd /initrd.img
}

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 1:35 AM, James Jarvis <james.jar...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Newbie post but hopefully I will be providing some useful data rather than
> merely questions...
>
> I have been using the svn trunk over the last few days with some success
> compiling 32 and 64 bit EFI grub and creating a dual architecture grub.efi
> from the results that seems to work on hard disk on newer and older Apple
> Intel Macs. I use the fatglue.py python script from refit to make the fat
> grub.efi. Not sure if anyone else is doing anything similar...
>
> I have observed that fat modules don't work - need to use grub-mkimage to
> insert all the required modules.
>
> Another interesting observation (not really grub but maybe worth comment)
> is that using a Linux 2.6.29.2 kernel and initrd on the newer macs in efi
> mode boot (uses framebuffer console) works up until the insertion of
> modules. It appears that some modules do insert and other don't. The same
> kernel and initrd booted in "legacy mode" (after a call to fakebios) boots
> fine.
>
> Finally, the reboot call from linux on the iMac 9,1 hangs - possibly an
> issue with fakebios??? If the output of grub-dumpbios is any use let me
> know...
>
> Models tested (all intel)
>
> macmini
> iMac 4,1 requires ia32 or "fat"  grub.efi
> iMac 8,1 requires x86_64 or "fat"  grub.efi
> iMac 9,1 requires x86_64 or "fat"  grub.efi
>
> James
>

> --

Cros (pxw)