Hi :)
I have a fairly shy friend who has done a re-write of the os-prober module
for his own needs after doing a lot of study about EFI systems.

He is already moving on to other things but i think it's a shame he seems
to think he can't submit the whole thing without;
1.  breaking it down into components and submitting each separately and
2.  getting bogged down into being the only maintainer of it.

I'm not sure how Open Source coding works but is there some way of doing
more than incremental changes on occasion?  What happens if someone new to
the project finds a way of shaking up all the parts that have
incrementally, almost organically, grown parts?  What happens if a neater
structure has become clear to someone new to the project precisely because
he/she has more of a fresh overview?

Obviously it is going to need the experienced experts to look into it
rather than just accepting and taking on the whole thing as it might well
turn out that some ideas lead on to better ones and some need to be
abandoned, perhaps even permanently or to allow for better migration.  Also
other migrations are probably under-way already and heading to a better
end-result so maybe only a couple of the new ideas are worth pursuing.

It all sounds like a total mine-field to me and it's only just occurring to
me that there are a LOT of complexities to maintaining Open Source projects
and that it's pretty amazing that you all make it look so easy.

I worry a lot that i am being quite insulting to you folks or to him.
Definitely NOT my intention because kinda love what you have done with
Grub2 and the great strides forwards that have been made.  I really
shouldn't get involved at all because i have no idea what i am doing and no
coding skills either.  I just have such problems with the EFIn thing.

So is there anything i can suggest to my friend or any links i can send him
or anything i can do to help him give the code to the project?
Regards from
Tom :)