Yes, thats exactly the use case: I always have multiple linux installations (ubuntu and fedora) in two seperate partitions. To stay compatible with their individual kernel and grub updates, I always install a second GRUB into the root parition of the specific linux installation. In MBR I have a master GRUB to select the linux system (partition) to chainload the second GRUB of that distribution. For this use case I need GRUB to be installed into ext4 of the root partition of that linux system.