List members:

The original question appears at the bottom of the message.  Thanks go to
Edzer Pebesma for his assistance.

As far as the ordinary kriging routine, my improper specification of the
range parameter was the culprit (see page 38 of the gstat User's Manual for
the gstat convention).  Edzer reminded me of the different conventions for
specifying the range parameter with certain variogram models and referred
me to the following link for the GSLIB convention:

http://www.ai-geostats.org/FAQ_software_conventions.htm

In a related issue that was not mentioned in my post to the list:
The large sill value in my cmd file did not create a problem for the
ordinary kriging routine however, it did cause the SGS routine to generate
negative predictions in many areas of the site that I am working with.
Some of the predictions were quite large and occurred in areas of the site
where only large concentrations (>500 ppm) were measured.  I tried
different methods to avoid this problem including: reducing magnitude of
data, standardizing the data, increasing the value of zero (see pages 41
and 87), increasing the amount of data used in the prediction and
performing block simulation at different block sizes.  I was able to
prevent the prediction of negative values was to use the original data
(i.e., original magnitude) with a reduced sill.  However, I think this is
unsatisfactory because, unlike kriging, the value of the sill does effect
the magnitude of the predicted concentrations.  Edzer suggested that I
tried the normal score transform.  This produced much better results.

Thanks again,

Bill