Yan Yu wrote:

Hello,
 I am interested in gstat package in R, and really would like to use it
to do some kriging related functionality.
but I am not sure how to achieve variogram modeling in gstat.

From the following example, it looks like vgm is used to achieve variogram
modeling, my Q is how do I know that whether "Exp", "Sph", "Gau", or "Mat"
is the right model for my data, or which parameter i should pick?..
Is there some set of functions I should use to find these parameters? or I
should look at the data, figure it out myself?

"data(meuse)
data(meuse.grid)
m <- vgm(.59, "Sph", 874, .04)
# ordinary kriging:
x <- krige(log(zinc)~1, ~x+y, model = m, data = meuse, newd = meuse.grid)"

your help is greatly appreciated! yan

If you're familiar with the functions, you can pick the right one after plotting
the sample variogram. If not: try them:

- calculate sample variogram
- plot sample variogram
- estimate initial model by eye
- fit.variogram() to fit the parameters
- plot the sample variogram with the fitted model

and do that for all models, or until you're satisfied.

Please use the gstat-info mailing list for such questions.
--
Edzer