Hi, sorry to join in late ...
but if you want an example of application which cross-compiles,
take a look at http://www.minisip.org
Minisip is a SIP softphone.
If you take the source code from the repository (SVN subversion, not
CVS), in the trunk there is a folder named Documentation. In there, we
have a step by step file on how to cross-compile it using mingw32 for
win32 ssytems, from a linux debian.
The truth is that it may not help, as the application is rather
complex (it compiles for many other platforms and so , and the whole
build system is not exactly beautiful), but hey, maybe you can get the
feeling :)

Regards,

Cesc
PS - We use cross compilation because we need the autoconf, automake
and so on ... and i don't feel/know if i can use them from a windows
environment :D And anyway, linux is soooo much cooler for a software
engineer :D