Hello!

> I will explain why I dislike new approach:
>
> 1. For example I want to select file from /usr/bin. I type:
>    /u and '/usr' appears. As new user I type 'u' and then 's'
>    and get '/usr/src' instead of '/us'. OK, thats bad, but fixable.
>    I go back and remove all the line, starting over.

I can't reproduce this on ubuntu dapper (gtk 2.8.18 ). Typing /u /usr appears,
but when typing s /us appears here.

> 2. When I type '/u' 'b' and then 'ooc' I get '/usr/bin/oocalc2' finally
>     selected. But pressing enter returns error: '/usr/bin/ooc file not
>     found'.

Pressing return the currently proposed text is accepted, /usr/bin/oocalc2 in
your example.

> I have made a page with images to explain what I mean:
> http://www.halogen-dg.com/alex/file_selection_dialog/GtkFileOpenBadUsabilityHtml

I get an error opening this url.

> Anyone else finds file open dialog frustating? Any way I can get
> old file dialog back?

Personally I like the new one. But the only thing I dislike is in gimp, when
saving an image, starting to type the proposed filename is overwritten.

Ciao,

Olaf