On 9/14/06, Tomasz Jankowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> GNOME (sometimes) use more memory, then KDE, but it's almost always faster!
> Funny, isn't it? I used KDE in version 3.5.x some time ago and I must say,
> that it was sometimes quite slow on my machine, which isn't old (1GB of ram
> memory, celeron D ~3GHz). I read, that new Qt 4 is much faster, so far I
> only read about that, we will se if it's true when KDE 4 will be ready.
>
> Next thing is, that GLib memory subsystem don't really free memory on g_free
> (), but do this when program exits. Memory freed with g_free () is still
> 'located' for program, which allocated it for first time.

Yes, that's true. I suppose that it is done for performance reasons, am I right?
This leads me to another question: how can I free (this is, completly
deallocate) memory from my process using just Glib?

> In my opinion article publicated by osnews.com is unreliable because of
> GLib's memory subsystem behavior. btw, are cario and pango based on GLib
> too?

Yes, from pango.org:

"Pango depends on 2.x series of the GLib library; more information
about GLib can be found at http://www.gtk.org/";

But I don't know about Cairo...