G Hasse wrote:
> But I realy NEED to create a longlived process (running for a week or
> month) and be able to quit the GUI whenever I like. The glib is
> just a wrapper - and i don't se the solution...
>
> I realy WANT to lose contact with the child process. And there
> is to mutch data from the GUI to pass it on the command line...

IMHO, in this circumstance, you still shouldn't have the GUI start the
long-lived process. You'll probably want some other mechanism to
[re]start the process in the event something goes wrong whilst it's
running. So set up the starting mechanism as a cron job or server
watchdog process. Then the GUI can just write the appropriate parameters
to a database or file or socket as you wish and the starting mechanism
will do the rest. No threads or forks in the GUI.

Cheers, Dave