hi,

Patrick Braga wrote:
> I've just begun learning GLib, and I came across Quarks. The
> documentation describes them as "association between strings and integer
> identifiers. Given either the stringo or the GQuark identifier it is
> possible to retrieve the other."
>
> This seems really useful and all, but I have no idea when this could be
> applied. I don't necessarily want code examples, just something like "if
> you want to do this then you could use quarks to..."

If you use a hashtable with strings as keys, a lookup on the hashtable would
need to compare the strings to find the entry. In some situations you can store
the key-strings in objects and in such a situation you better store the quarks
and use the quarks as keys in the hashtable. Then the lookup only compares
integers.

Stefan