For a reasonable size try gtk_box_pack_start() with expand = false and
fill = false. Is seems to me that the problem your were facing is
because you had expand = true and fill = true for the packed child
button.

If you use gtk_widget_set_size_request, please make sure the UI is still
sane after changing the default application font size in
gnome-preferences from 11 to 22 -- I guess it's going to be a pain.

- Yu