I noticed that if I create a GtkButton, call gtk_widget_show for the button,
then call gtk_widget_size_request, it returns a guesstimate.  With my current
theme selection, this turns out to be a few pixels too small.

If I then add it to a container, add the container to a GtkWindow, and show all
of them, the GtkButton ends up being notified of what size it really needs to
request for the current theme.

Two questions:

1. Is there a way to force the widget to query the theme before showing the
window?  "You don't need to" is a legitimate answer, but I'd like to know the
real answer if there is one.

2. When the window is shown, does the Gtk (perhaps the GtkButton itself) query
the display server for the theme information, or does the display server
actively send a "theme changed" event?  I suspect the latter since if the user
changes themes on the fly, the display server must be able to somehow notify
the existing windows that this has occurred.  In either case, how does this
work?  The "Understanding Metacity Themes" GNOME library documentation doesn't
cover this aspect of themes at all - what to expect from the program's point of
view.

Thanks,
Brian