On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 10:23:00 +0100
jcup...@gmail.com wrote:

> You need to put stuff inside something which can get larger. I'd put a
> scrolledwindow inside the vpane, then the frame and the table inside
> that.  This will mean if the table gets bigger than the vpane, it'll
> get scrollbars.

Thanks, John. That solves part of the problem. Now the table remains
inside the frame when it grows...

I have a more fundamental problem though: Recalling the structure:

Window
   VBox
      Top: Menu
      Btm: HPaned
          Left: VPaned (works fine)
          Right: Frame with table (with ScrollWdw, ok)

But, if I enlarge the outer window, the Vbox doesn't grow: the menu stays
the same width, as does the HPaned.

I've checked the properties of all of the elements, and, as far as I can
see, all the resizing/etc flags which could influence, are set.

I have done several programs which use this structure - never had any
problem with resizing the menu!

John