I've sort of followed this chain.... sorry if I am rehashing something that has
already been covered.
IMHO I agree that GtkGLExt should be directly integrated into GTK. Most modern
user interfaces (IE OS X (NextStep)) are integrating 3D directly into the
windowing system. If I am not mistaken the panel is pure Open GL in OS X, and
for sure the iChat multi session video window is pure OGL with reflection maps
(they love to tout that). Their development toolset is chalked full of OpenGL
examples, and composer... well I won't even go there. GTKGLext does NOT
currently work well on OS X interface (even though there is a patch for it,
which still needs to be changed to use the NSOpenGLView instead of the NSView
but that is whole other story).
Open GL is not only the standard scientific toolset, it is the de facto
hardware acceleration tool set. I don't know of ANY video card vendor that DOES
NOT have OpenGL support. In fact I can not think of any other hardware
accelerated tool sets (OGL has been it since the early 90's) it WILL be the
interface choice of the future. 2D desktops will quickly give way to 3D
widgetry, as hardware acceleration improves even further. Just look at compiz!
I've already got users asking me to make the app look more 3D, and it would be
great to have the toolset to do so. Even though all were doing is simple EPR
stuff. IE If I could create a 3D warehouse map that was navigable by the user
to see where they have room to store a product, or look at a product space for
a visual cue to order more. This is an old concept Motorola developed about its
factories and training workers virtually.
Of course, this is all a wish list, I can't demand of the community to do the
work I my self have no time for, but it would be really really really
supercalifragilisticexpialidocious-ly great to have a fully working OpenGL
implementation in GTK for OS X, and if it is dropped for GTK 3.0, I'm afraid it
will not serve the community well.

I did not quite catch why it was not a good idea. Saying that is like saying it
is not a good idea to have the printing subsystem, or input subsystem be
exposed in GTK. GTK in essence is an abstraction layer, to hide the differences
in interface functionality, giving the user (programer) a singe interface to
write agains. Why should we not have the same thing for OpenGL, which is a
component of the user interface?
Again this is all MHO, and I certainly have not invested a dime in it, so
wether it happens or not I will work around it, but it would be nice, very,
very nice, to have an GTKOGLWindow in GTK's base library, or at least something
like pango/cairo, as a compiler option module.

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me