On 1 Aug 2010, at 21:41, Kristian Rietveld wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2010, at 9:15 AM, John Emmas wrote:
>
>> This morning I've come across this mailing list which has got me confused:-
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=gtk-osx-users
>
> My understanding is that this mailing list is for discussion of gtk+ on osx
> as well as certain subprojects

Thanks Kristian.  I found out later that the other mailing list is for
questions relating to GTK+ version 1.  It seems as if version 1 is still being
developed alongside version 2 but I'm not sure why.

Anyway, I've managed to find out that under OS-X, hardware acceleration is only
available for certain supported chipsets, which seems reasonable enough - but
even when it's supported, only 3D acceleration is enabled by default.
Bizarrely, 2D acceleration is disabled by default and needs to be enabled using
something called that Quartz Debug Application.  The worrying thing is that
this probably makes sense to someone at Apple....  :-(