On 7 Nov 2010, at 18:14, Jaroslav Šmíd wrote:

> So try to set your desired font - edit or create
> (GTKDIR)\etc\gtk-2.0\gtkrc and add line like
> gtk-font-name = "Segoe UI"

Thanks for the tip.  In fact it turned out to be due to the fact that an entry
in my pango.modules file had spaces in its pathname (in fact, there was only
one entry for my simple testing purposes).  This was causing the file contents
to be incorrectly hashed when the file was being processed.  I don't quite
understand why everything worked when I substituted the official GTK binaries
but I'm guessing there might be some fallback mechanism which works when built
with gcc but doesn't work in the VC++ build for some reason.  Anyway,
surrounding the path with quotation marks fixed the problem.  Thanks.

John