On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:09:43PM +0100, David Ne??as wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:59:45AM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> > I finally know =where= i want to exit my gtk program, but exit
> > just doesn't break me out of my while() loop.  what's the magin?
>
> exit() *does* terminate the program no matter what loop or whatever it
> might be running.
>
> So, most likely, you think your code calls exit() at some point but that
> actually never happens.
>
> The program might get stuck in the finalisation phase if some exit
> handler (e.g. atexit()-registered) or finaliser gets stuck but I suppose
> if you were registering such things you (a) would have told us (b) did
> not wonder what happened.
>
> Yeti
>

> P.S.: Calling exit() while within the Gtk+ main loop is a bit harsh.
> Normally one calls gtk_main_quit() and the program continues execution
> after gtk_main() ??? which typically means it then reaches the end of
> main() and terminates.

        you were abs correct about exit().  i moved it around and
        was able to verify that my code was doing what i had
        thought.  that puts me back to the problem of my gtk
        application going dark/dim; it looks like this may be a
        feature of ubuntu linux.  i've posted to unubtuforums and
        waiting.  --at any rate, thanks for your help.

        gary

--
 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org