On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:24:06AM +0100, Javier Hern?ndez Ant?nez wrote:
> Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:24:06 +0100
> From: Javier Hern?ndez Ant?nez <jhernan...@emergya.com>
> Subject: Re: looking for a program....
> To: Gary Kline <kl...@thought.org>
> Cc: GTK Devel List <gtk-app-devel-list@gnome.org>
>
> 2012/2/15 Gary Kline <kl...@thought.org>
>
> > i'm looking for a gui program that spoke text and that had options
> > for speed, pitch, spacing-between-words and more [[espeak?] right
> > on the front panel.
> >

> I'm wondering, if you're looking for some screen reader & speech synthesis,
> solution, isn
>

> > i'm looking for something like this panel to let the user select
> > wshat options he wants his computer voiced to follow.  this "Option"
> > string on my menubar is one of the things i knew i had to offer--to
> > build into my VBC progrram.  i've been hunting all over for about an
> > hour.  can't find it.
> >
> > if any of you know what program this is, please clue me in.
> >

> I'm quite sure that what you're looking for is for some screen reader &
> speech synthesis solution, like Orca [1], isn't it?
> If not, or Orca doesn't fit your needs, you can deal with speech-dispatcher
> in a easy way from your application. Controlling what to say, pitch, rate,
> language, etc.

        i spent the entire day looking for what WAS in ubuntu 10.04
        and 10.10, but must have changed with 11.*.  it has a config
        panel when the program began that let you set things such as
        you mention: pitch, rate, volume, ... but this program is no
        longer available.

        I installed a bunch of what i thought might be helpful
        tools, and now  when i run VBC, I get the following
        warnings:

** (gvim:22552): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not
receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a
reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout
expired, or the network connection was broken.

(gvim:22552): Gnome-WARNING **: Accessibility: failed to find module
'libgail-gnome' which is needed to make this application accessible

(gvim:22552): Gnome-WARNING **: Accessibility: failed to find module 'libgail'
which is needed to make this application accessible

** (gvim:22552): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not
receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a
reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout
expired, or the network connection was broken.

        AFAIK, I did not install any accessibility packages.  Same
        with libgail.  do you know what's going on? or anybody else
        onlist?  also, i didn't do anything to gvim---note the
        "(gvim 22552):" above.

        gary

--
 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix