On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 9:11 PM Stefan Salewski <m...@ssalewski.de> wrote:

> So your observed behaviour seems to be intended. When application is
> started with arguments, example_app_open() is called, which includes
> the code of example_app_activate(). This indicates that
> example_app_activate() is not executed when application is started with
> arguments, so we can assume that "activate" signal is not emitted for
> that case. (That was not clear for me from the docs)

It is a bit hidden in the documentation for g_application_run()[0]:
"If there are no files listed, the application is activated via the
"activate" signal. If there are one or more files, and
G_APPLICATION_HANDLES_OPEN was specified then the files are opened via the
"open" signal."

[0]
https://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/GApplication.html#g-application-run