Another thing to give a try is just to set a boolean in the "set-focus-child"
callback. Not sure if this will always work. I think that it should.

I don't know the best workaround for the "focus-in-event" in a combo box. It
isn't obvious how to connect that signal for the combobox.

Eric

gboolean combo_focus=FALSE;
g_signal_connect(combo, "set-focus-child", G_CALLBACK(focus_combo_container),
&combo_focus);
static void focus_combo_container(GtkContainer *container, GtkWidget *widget,
gboolean *combo_focus)
  {
    if(*combo_focus)
      {