Heh-heh, yes that for loop does look better :-)  I'll use that.

Textview is awesome and will save me thousands of lines of code, but not
being able to apply a tag to an iter -- that has been a big drawback for
me.  You can discover a tag at an iter, but only apply/remove it to a
range.  It would be great to be able to apply a style tag at an iter
(including in a blank line) and then have text inserted their use that tag.

One more suggestion for GTK Textview -- this is about the margin and indent
tags.  I found that you can apply those tags anywhere in a line and even
multiple times.  So in a 100-char line, you can have chars 33-45 with an
indent of 100px, and chars 63-88 with an indent of -50px, etc.  And in
addition various left-margins.  When you move the cursor through such a
line, the cursor bounces around like crazy and the line is reformatted back
and forth.  I cannot imagine why anyone would want this.  Such tags should
only apply to whole lines, and only one indent or left-margin tag per
line.  As it is, the applied indent and margin tags are hard to manage and
cause too much trouble.

--
Doug McCasland   <do...@bravoecho.net>