Yevgen Muntyan wrote:
>>> My impression is that ideally on Windows you use the native
>>> windows-looking file API, and that the file-descriptor-using API is
>>> some kind of weird emulation hack. But I could not comment
>>> intelligently on the details.
>>>
>> I assume so. Its part of the libc runtime on windows. However, the
>> question is, apart from one layer less, what are the other advantages?
>>
> Pygtk is currently unable to use GIOChannel because both Glib and
> Python use file descriptor API, but different C runtime libraries.

The issue is that file descriptors shouldn't be passed from a dll / exe
using one C runtime to another using a different C runtime -- or if they
are, they must be used only with functions from the appropriate C
runtime.  Use of file descriptors within a single dll is generally not a
problem.

The native win32 calls (CreateFile and others) probably has advantages,
but I can't say whether a separate implementation would be desirable.

Cheers,

John