On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

> I humbly suggest that the versioning recommendation for the GTK+ stack
> and GNOME in general is amended for the third "micro" part of the
> version numbers to match the convention used in cairo.
>
> See http://cairographics.org/manual/cairo-Version-Information.html .
>
> In a nutshell, the idea is that released tarballs have an even micro
> version. The micro version is bumped both immediately before and after
> building the release tarball. The even micro number is never committed
> to SVN. In SVN the micro number is always odd.

the scheme sounds good and well applicable to glib/gtk.

> I guess one disadvantage of this is that it might take a time before
> people stop asking "what happened to version x.y.z". Also, one
> probably needs to script the bump-make dist-bump sequence in order not
> to forget it, at least initially.

yeah, i think a problem in practice is that it's easily forgotten to bump
the SVN version number after distcheck. i don't quite see how a script
could solve this, because i don't see an obvious point where a script could
check/enforce the bump.

given that the release process is usually (some parts can be parallelized):
- commit development stuff to SVN
- bump version to x.y.even
- build and fix things until distcheck succeeds
- final updates (NEWS, README, ChangeLog, etc)
- final make distcheck, yields tarball x.y.even
- commit release changes to SVN
- upload tarball

the time to run a script to check/enforce x.y.odd would be
after comitting release changes, around tarball uploading...

suggestions for hooking up a script welcome.

> --tml

---
ciaoTJ