Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 9:01 PM, Simos Xenitellis
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>>  1. jhbuild build gtk+        (just 16 packages)
>>>  2. jhbuild shell           to get a shell with env variables properly set.
>>>  3. now run your test program that is based on gtk+; will use fresh
>>>  gtk+ library, the rest of the libraries come from the system
>>>  4. hack gtk+, then type "make install" to refresh your build with the
>>>  new changes (takes <15s on modern systems)
>>>  5. go to step 3.
>>>

>> Only FIFTEEN SECONDS?? That is amazingly quick. I thought I had a
>> reasonably fast computer, but just the install step after make is
>> successful takes 53 seconds. Most of that time is spent by libtool
>> relinking libraries and it seems (to me) improbable that it can be
>> done in less than 15 seconds.
>>

> It depends what files you are working on. If you make changes on header
> files, then a whole lot of stuff will get recompiled (due to the
> dependencies), amounting to several minutes.

Here 'time make install' *after* make install says this:

real    1m56.868s
user    0m29.270s
sys     0m17.049s

And 'touch ../../gtk+/gtk/gtktextview.c && time make'
produces this:

real    1m17.363s
user    0m30.982s
sys     0m15.749s

Somehow libtool relinks every library on 'make install',
and relinks every library which depends on libgtk
on 'make' if libgtk was rebuilt.

> In my specific case however, just a single .c file had to be recompiled
> in every go, and linked with the rest of the object files to make libgtk+.

Are you sure you were talking about toplevel gtk directory,
not about 'make' inside gtk+/gtk? Because that says:

touch ../../../gtk+/gtk/gtktextview.c && time make
real    0m23.437s
user    0m10.881s
sys     0m3.368s

Disabling tests would make things faster, but only
inside gtk+/gtk, if you go up then you get modules
(many) relinked anyway.

Yevgen